1.5 lb chicken breast sliced into 1/4″ strips
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Himalayan sea salt
1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
4 cloves garlic minced
1 lb asparagus cut into 2″ pieces
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from one 1 lemon
1/4 cup julienned fresh basil
1. Heat a 12″ skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 teaspoon olive oil and heat until it shimmers. Add the chicken, then sprinkle with the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Sauté the chicken, stirring frequently, until no longer pink, 6-7 minutes. Remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and set aside.
2. Add a second teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet and allow to heat. Add the mushrooms to the skillet, then toss to coat in the fat and residual spices. Sauté, stirring occasionally, and until the mushrooms have released their liquid, the pan is dry, and the mushrooms are browned and starting to crisp around the edges, 5-6 minutes.
3. Push the mushrooms to the edges of the skillet. Add the third teaspoon olive oil to the center of the pan, then add the garlic to the oil. Sauté the garlic for one minute.
4. Add the asparagus to the olive oil and garlic. Sauté the asparagus with the garlic and mushrooms, stirring frequently, until the asparagus is tender but still bright green, about 3-5 minutes depending on thickness.
5. Add the chicken back to the skillet, along with any juices it released onto the plate, then add the lemon juice. Toss all ingredients together, and sauté an additional 1-2 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the flavors have melded.
6. Turn off the heat, add the basil, and toss. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper if needed. Portion into bowls and serve immediately.
Serving Size = 2 cups of veggies with 3 ounces of chicken